Select Page

Free Tax Preparation – Crafton Hills College

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, sponsored by the Accounting program at Crafton Hills College and the Internal Revenue Service, provides free tax preparation services to individuals and families earning less than $51,000 a year who need assistance in preparing their own returns. VITA volunteers are CHC students who have completed a rigorous IRS-sponsored training and are certified by the IRS to provide basic income tax assistance to qualified individuals, including United States Veterans. Electronic filing is available free of charge.

The VITA site will be open Thursday evenings, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the Lab-Administration (LADM) Building, Room 217beginning February 6 through April 10. (The site will be closed on March 20 for the college spring break holiday). No appointment is necessary and free parking is available in Lot D.

VITA volunteers will also provide assistance to taxpayers at locations throughout immediate area during March and April. The dates and times of these sites will be announced as they are finalized.

Taxpayers should bring the following items to the VITA site to receive assistance on their returns:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • *Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents (REQUIRED) or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents and proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN.
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

*It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office. If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number, you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

For more information about the VITA program, call 909-389-3215 or contact Nelson Murcia, EA, VITA Site Coordinator