2013 Veteran Small Business Champion, Eric Miller
The U.S. Small Business Administration is pleased to announce Eric Miller, President of Odic Environmental & Energy, will receive the 2013 Veteran Small Business Champion Award for the Santa Ana District. Miller, who is a resident of Costa Mesa, Calif. will receive the award in recognition of his efforts to advocate on behalf of veteran business owners as chapter chair of the Southern California Chapter of the California Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) Alliance. Miller was nominated for the award by Joan Earhart, Senior Executive Vice President at Pacific Mercantile Bank, an SBA lender based in Costa Mesa, California.
Miller’s company, Odic Environmental & Energy, is a small business based in Los Angeles that specializes in providing environmental due diligence, assessment, remediation and related services. Miller served in the U.S. Navy as a Special Warfare Combat Crewman (SWCC) before settling in San Diego, where he attended San Diego State University prior to launching the business.
Specific efforts taken by Miller include:
- Counseling potential and existing business owners on aspects of business ownership ranging from management for financing and business development
- Providing lobbying efforts to encourage cities within the State and the State of California to award a certain percentage of their contracts to Veteran and Disabled Veteran-owned firms
- Assisting companies in winning available contracts by counseling them on bidding, pricing, work flow and business cash flow management
- Orchestrating monthly chapter meetings providing an outlet for continuing networking opportunities for veteran-owned and service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses, and inviting key leaders in federal, state, and local agencies* Orchestrating monthly chapter meetings for the California DVBE Alliance which provide an outlet for continued networking among veteran-owned and service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses in addition to featuring guest speakers from various government agencies and private corporations with important information affecting their membership
- Assisting with fundraising efforts for the California DVBE Alliance
According to nominator Joan Earhart, “With his energy and drive, and his passion for making sure those who have served our country obtain every benefit and opportunity possible, Eric has made a difference in the lives of many. He is paying forward the rewards he has received from the education and experience he received in his position as a Special Warfare Combat Crewman.”